The world is preparing to discover the new frontiers, a term absolutely chosen at random, of Sonic Frontiers, the new open world action adventure by SEGA. We have therefore collected everything we know and everything there is to know awaiting the official release at the end of the year.
Sonic’s new journey begins with Amy and Tails as they search for the Chaos Emeralds. However, an airplane failure will lead the protagonists to a dimensional portal, which will separate Sonic from his friends. The most famous supersonic hedgehog in the world of video games thus awakens in a strange digital world: the Cyber Space.
Players will then have to solve puzzles and complete challenges to earn portal gears. Thanks to these it will in fact be possible open the portals and access the various levels of Cyber Space, characterized by the traditional frenetic pace of the game between action and platformer.
The settings of Sonic Frontiers: discovering the Starfall Islands
The game will feature platformed zones, on which Sonic will be able to take advantage of his distinctive speed to freely explore the environments of Starfall Islands. These are an archipelago of islands on which our protagonist finds himself. Sonic will find himself exploring Kronos Island. This is characterized by a rainy climate, characterized by impressive waterfalls, lush forests, mountains and towers suspended in mid-air. The ruins scattered across the island seem to house ancient inhabitants: the koco.
We therefore intuit that Sonic Frontiers will feature a vast open worldwhich will allow the protagonist to interact with the numerous activities scattered on the island as and when you want. In this way it will be the player who dictates the rhythms of the narration, imposing his own style on the videogame. Something totally new for fans of old Sonic chapters.
Fights and puzzles: the game mechanics
The gameplay will allow players to adopt two different control styles: Action Style and Speed Style. The first gives greater accuracy for the platformer stages, and is suitable for those facing Sonic games for the first time. On the contrary, the Speed Style guarantees greater speed, perfect for those familiar with the titles of the franchise.
Regarding the game mechanics we know that combat will be smoother and more engaging than in previous titles. It will in fact be possible to fight both strategically and trying to get combos. Those who prefer a more linear approach will benefit from the Automatic mode. This allows you to perform various attack combos using a single command.
A novelty of the title is represented by the ability Cyber Loop, which will allow Sonic to leave a glowing trail behind him. In this way it will be necessary to surround enemies, objects and portions of land to discover their numerous effects and reveal the secrets of the Starfall Islands.
Finally the game will present numerous puzzles and brain teasers to solve. These will give access to useful items to increase Sonic’s power and defense and to reveal hidden areas of the map.
Sonic, Sage and many enemies: the characters of Sonic Frontiers
The characters present in the game will be the following:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The fastest supersonic porcupine in the world that certainly needs no introduction. During his journey to the Starfall Islands he will be guided by an enigmatic voice.
- Sage: a mysterious girl who appears on the Starfall Islands. For the duration of the adventure she will try to warn Sonic, suggesting that he abandon the Starfall Islands and give up saving her friends.
Not just heroes though. The Starfall Islands are teeming with unknown creatures and dangers, which Sonic will face. Among these we point out:
- Soldier: An enemy who always appears in a group and slashes with both hands.
- Cyclone– A floating entity that deals damage with attacks similar to electric vortexes.
- Rotating: has the appearance of a wheel that whizzes in the direction of Sonic as soon as he is detected. If provoked, it attacks at great speed.
- Armor: and the name says it all. This enemy is protected by a tough shell. Attack from a distance with boomerang-type offensives. Sonic’s attacks are unable to pierce his armor, but it will be possible to knock him out with other methods, such as the Cyber loop.
- Bunch: composed of a cluster of spheres, it is able to perform electrical attacks.
Obviously they will not be missing i bosswhich are:
- Ninja: here too the name is quite didactic. His fighting style harks back to Eastern culture and unleashes swift and unpredictable attacks. He also defends himself very well, being able to parry Sonic’s attacks and then go off to counter with his shadows.
- Torre: an enemy consisting of several stacked parts. Its weak point is on its top: the problem will be reaching it
- Asura: is it a skyscraper? Is it a palace? Is it a condominium? No. It is Asura, an imposing enemy in the form of a huge building. Again it will be necessary to get to the top to find its weak point and attack it.
When and for which platforms Sonic Frontiers will be released
Sonic Frontiers uscirà by the end of 2022, although no date has yet been made official. The game will be available for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X | S, Xbox One, PC, with dubbing in Italian. There are currently no specifics on price and age certification.