Netflix has made an announcement intended to change the way many Italians watch streaming TV series and movies. If you live with other people in the same house, you can continue to use the same Netflix account to watch your favorite content. If you want to share your Netflix account with people outside your home, you’ll need to create a separate account. But what if you still want to share your account with relatives and friends who live in another house? Netflix gives you the option to add an extra user to your account. To continue sharing your account – while spending a few euros more.
How to add an extra user to your Netflix account
We’ve been talking about it for months, but now it’s official: Netflix has said stop sharing the password. Netflix explains: “The Netflix account is intended for a single household, i.e. you and those who live with you. Everyone in your household can watch Netflix wherever they want (at home, on the go, on vacation).”
The streaming giant will analyze the IP addresses and ID of the devices, to understand if you always watch Netflix in another house. Whether it’s a trip or the beach house, that shouldn’t be a problem. But if you share the account with other people, you won’t be able to do it anymore.
But what if you want to continue sharing the account with the child/parent who lives far away? If your concept of family goes beyond a single domicile, how to do it? Netflix gives you the possibility to add an extra user to your account, which can also be in a different area.
The advantages of having an extra user
You can also add an extra user to your account and allow someone who doesn’t live with you to access Netflix. The extra user will have his login credentials and his personalized profile, but its monthly fee will be charged to who added it to their account.
This has several advantages. For example, an extra user continue watch unlimited TV series, films, documentaries and other quality content. And you can use Netflix at home or on the go with any device that has the Netflix app installed and connects to the Internet, such as smart TVs, game consoles, streaming players, set-top boxes, smartphones, tablets and web browsers. And they will have the same video quality as the subscriber who invited them, albeit with their own profile, a personal account and password.
The differences compared to having your own account
Becoming an extra user of an account, however, is not quite the same as having your own account, your own subscription. The main differences are:
- Extra users can access Netflix from any device, but not at the same time.
- They can download titles, but only on one mobile device at a time.
- Extra users can use only one profile on the account and they don’t have the ability to create more.
- The profile can be new or an existing profile transferred by the owner of the account who invited the extra user. The profile can have different age restrictions, but it can’t be a profile for Children.
- Extra users need to create and activate their account in the same country as the account owner.
How much does it cost to add an extra user on Netflix?
Everything is fine extra user costs 4.99 euros per month more. Which is one euro cheaper than the Standard subscription with Advertising, which costs 5.99 euros in Italy.
How to add an extra user on Netflix
If you have a Netflix Standard or Premium subscription (therefore those of 12.99 euros or 17.99 euros, not the one with advertising) you can add another user to your account by purchasing an extra user slot. With the Standard plan you can add only one extra user, with the Premium plan two. However, you cannot add extra users if you have an ad-supported plan, a partner package, or third-party billing.
To do this, you need to buy an extra user slot, send the invitation to your extra user, who will then create their account and use it to watch Netflix. You can do it both from the browser and from your TV.
Dal browser web
- Click Buy Slot for Extra User (find it here). Or click on Extra Users > Purchase an extra user slot on your Account page.
- Check and confirm the new amount to pay and the new payment date.
- Netflix is a prepay service, so your payment date will change based on how much credit you have left from your last payment.
- Click on Activate extra user.
- Enter the name and email of the extra user and your name. Netflix this information to send the invitation email.
- Choose whether you want to transfer an existing profile or let the extra user create a new profile.
LThe extra user will receive an email from Netflix with a special invite link, while you will receive a notification when the extra user has activated his account. You can also click UTry extra > Manage extra users to copy the invite link and send it directly to the person.
From your TV
You can also add an extra user on Netflix from your TV:
The extra user will just have to tap the link to and give their profile a name. You will be notified when it has done so. You can also transfer an account by following the directions above.
Let the stream continue
By following these steps, you have added an extra user to your Netflix account. If you have any doubts, Netflix has created a long series of questions and answers to take it away from you. But feel free to ask in the comments below if you have any extra questions, we will do our best to answer them.