After the Fracture event on Saturday night (December 3), the Fortnite island as we knew it was partially destroyed. Players had to work together to try to put it back together and this led to the creation of a new island, assembling parts of the previous three maps. Thus begins the Chapter 4 of Fortnite, which introduces several new environments, weapons, vehicles and even new game mechanics that promise to be extremely interesting. Some innovations had been in the air for some time, while others arrived like a bolt from the blue in the blue sky of the island.
First, let’s take a look at the official trailer for Chapter 4.
Fortnite – Chapter 4: a new beginning and… a new island
The new map introduces us to several absolutely new places such as The Citadel (characterized by the presence of a medieval castle), Anvil square (a wooded town almost entirely built of wood), Frenzied Wastes (which incorporates some of the farms we have seen in previous chapters) e Brutal Bastion (a brutalist-style fortress in the snowy mountains). He also revised the mine, which now looks like Glossy slabs.
The game mechanics of Chapter 4
There is also a substantial change in the game mechanics. In particular:
- Overcoming obstacles: in addition to jumping, it will now be possible to run over fences and obstacles
- Reality Optimizers: in the more advanced stages of the Storm it will be possible to collect power-ups called reality enhancers, which will be valid for the entire duration of the game. These include: speedy weapon reloads, ability to deploy parachute in match, fuel savings for vehicles, and boosted jumps while racing. More optimizers will be released in the next Seasons.
- Snowballs: Using the pickaxe in snowy areas it is now possible to generate a snowball. Not only that: players can jump into them and run over enemies.
- The bikes have arrived!: After a long wait, Chapter 4 has introduced to Fortnite the Trail Thrashera motocross bike that in addition to moving allows you to perform stunts.
#Fortnite News Update: Reality Augments
“Activate special abilities during every match! Choose between a randomized choice of Reality Augments at regular intervals over the course of each match.” pic.twitter.com/Sv7DePDY5i
— fnbr.co (@FortniteDaily) December 4, 2022
Weapons and items
Credit: Epic Games
Revolution also for weapons and consumables. Among the new objects of Chapter 4 we will find:
- Slapdash Berries: give health and energy
- Slapstick Juice: a Slap Berry Juice, more health and more energy
- Heavenly jellyfish: like the jellyfish from the previous chapter, they provide shield and health if squeezed.
- Flying drones: drop rare weapons and are present in some random points of interest (marked in gold on the map)
- Capture point: in certain areas it is possible to conquer areas, obtaining the position of crates and enemies in the area.
As for weapons instead:
Credit: Epic Games
- Fucile Ex-Caliber: shoots blades that explode when stuck in opponents
- Heavy Thunder Rifle: fires two powerful shots, fatal if exploded at close range
- Heavy Auto Rifle Specialist: A close-range rifle with a high rate of fire
- Red-Eyes Assault Rifle: an assault rifle with a red dot sight
- Double magazine machine gun: Automatic SMG and high rate of fire and fast reload
- Tactical pistol: the inevitable pistol in Fortnite, a powerful and versatile weapon
- Shock wave hammer: the real novelty of this chapter. A hammer that can damage enemies and facilitate movement: hitting the ground will give you a considerable forward thrust.
What’s new in the Battle Pass
The new Battle Pass obviously includes skins and cosmetics. By accessing the Chapter 4 – Season 1 Pass, Fortnite will give us the costume of Selene, described as “the star of the show”. The skin of will be available later Geralt in Rivia (also visible in the trailer). The most attentive, during the Fracture event, will also have noticed Hulk Riding a Bike: The Green Monster Skin is coming to the Item Shop.
Among the other costumes of the Battle Pass announced (with relative emblematic description typical of Epic Games) we find:
- Maasai: at work even at midnight
- Doom Slayer: straight from the ultra-nightmares
- Dusty: the brutal ball champion
- Nezumi: in contemplation of the horizon
- Helsie: the red High Bets Club Member Joni
- The Timeless: in command of an empire
We remind you that the Battle Pass is available at the price of 950 V-Bucks (game currency).
Finally, among the novelties of the new Chapter, also the arrival of technology Unreal Engine 5.1.