Here is another chapter of the switch-off that will lead to the adoption of DVB-T2, the new digital terrestrial.
It all started in October, with the transition to HD of various Rai and Mediaset channels, as we told you in another article.
Now it’s up to the transfer of channels to new frequencies of digital terrestrial. The so-called refarming (reassignment) has already occurred in Sardinia in the period from 15 November to 2 December last. On the island, on the contrary, the transition will be completed on Tuesday 4 January, when the frequencies of the main Rai networks will also be retuned. That is Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3 TGR Regionale and Rai News.
At the beginning of 2022, the move will involve eight regions of Northern Italy. Let’s see what they are, and in what period the transition to the new digital terrestrial frequencies will take place.
New frequencies of digital terrestrial: who and when
From Monday 3 January to Monday 14 March, the shift of the signal to the new digital terrestrial frequencies will involve eight regions.
That is Valle d’Aosta, Piedmont, Liguria, Lombardy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Veneto, Friuli-Venezia Giulia and Emilia Romagna.
What will happen
From 3 January to 14 March, the frequencies in 700 MHz will be switched off in the eight regions indicated, which will be released in favor of 5G technology.
The frequencies of some channels will change, while many local broadcast channels will close.
It is a further step towards the adoption of the latest generation digital terrestrial standard, DVB-T2 (Digital Video Broadcasting-Second Generation Terrestrial).
What to do?
The new frequencies of digital terrestrial do not pose major problems for users.
If we saw the TV correctly before refarming, we will continue to see it. Therefore, there is no need to buy a new television set or a new decoder.
And for the re-tuning of the channels? Many televisions have automatic tuning, so no action will be required on our part.
If not, it will be necessary retune channels manually. To do this, simply press the Menu button on the remote control, enter the Channels section and select Search for channels. An unlock pin may be required at this point, which is usually 0000, 1111 or 1234, unless you have changed it.
You will then have to choose Automatic Search and start the process. And here the TV will search for, and memorize, the new channels. A click on the Exit button at the end of the operation, and the synchronization of the new digital terrestrial frequencies will be completed.
For the eight regions involved in this refarming phase, a busy schedule is in fact foreseen, which from January 3 to March 14 also varies within some specific provinces.
Here it is in detail.
- January 3-7: Valle d’Aosta
- January 10-18: Western Piedmont (Turin, Cuneo and related provinces, Langhe and Roero, part of the province of AT)
- January 19: Piedmontese side of the Ligurian Apennines (part of the province of AL), Val Tidone (part of the province of PC)
- January 20-February 9: Alpi Biellesi, Valsesia, Verbano Cusio Ossola, Vergante (part of the provinces of: VB, VC, BI, NO): Sondrio and its province, Lombardy Alps and Prealps (Part of the provinces of: VA, CO, BG, LC, BS) , Venetian shore of Lake Garda (Part of the province of VR)
- February 10-14: Bolzano and province
- February 15-23: Trento and its province
- February 24-28: Belluno and its province and Vicentine Prealps (part of the province of VI) and Treviso Prealps (part of the province of TV)
- March 1: Pordenone mountains, Carnia, Canal del Ferro-Valcanale (Part of the province of: UD and PN)
- 2-4 March: Upper Emilia-Romagna Apennines and Middle Apennines Forlì Cesenate (part of the provinces of: PR, RE, MO, BO, RA, FC)
- March 7-11: Monferrato (part of the provinces of: AT, AL) Pianura Padano Veneta and Friulana (part of the provinces of: TO, BI, VC, NO, AL, PV, MI, VA, CR, MB, CO, BG, LC, BS , LO, MN, PC, PR, VR, RE, MO, BO, FE, FC, RA, RO, PD, VI, TV, VE, PN, UD, GO, TS)
- March 14: Upper Apennines Forlivese and Cesenate (part of the province of FC), Rimini and its province.
The calendar of the other regions
The other stages of the transition to the frequencies of the new digital terrestrial involve, above all, the involvement of Central Adriatic and Southern regions. The refarming from 1 March to 15 May will involve Abruzzo, Marche, Molise, Puglia, Basilicata, Calabria and Sicily.
From 1 May to 30 June 2022, the changeover will concern the regions of the central Tyrrhenian side of the country. That is Liguria, Tuscany, Umbria, Lazio and Campania.