Nokia: 100% green electricity by 2025

Nokia: elettricità verde al 100% entro il 2025 thumbnail

Nokia aims to achieve the goal of 100% purchase of electricity from renewable sources by 2025 to power offices, R&D laboratories and factories. But at the same time, he doesn’t want to hold back his efforts to help digitize the world economy, a transition that will have a positive environmental impact.

Nokia aims for 100% green electricity by 2025

The president and CEO of Nokia, Pekka Lundmark, attended the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow together with political and business leaders. And from Scotland he declared: “There is no“ green ”without digital. Currently only 30% of the world economy is digitalised, and we must now work to connect the remaining 70% to ensure that the world reaches the net-zero threshold. 5G and related technology play a critical role in making other sectors more sustainable. At the same time, the ICT sector must minimize its emissions and push on the accelerator of green electricity ”.

The push for green energy comes directly from Nokia. Although renewable sources are not available in all countries where Nokia is present, the decision to power all plants with green energy will allow stimulate their growth.

Amazon renewable energyPhoto Credits: Berlionemore_contributor – FreePik

Nokia has already committed to reduce emissions by 50% across the value chain by 2030. A commitment approved by SBTi (Science Based Targets initiative). And with 90% of emissions coming from customer use of products, Nokia is working to improve their energy efficiency.

In addition to direct commitments, the effort towards digitization can have a huge impact. Think converting to smart manufacturing can help ensure annual productivity as well energy savings of 10-20%. The recent pandemic has accelerated digitization by an average of six years, according to recent studies. But there is a lot of work to do. And Nokia has no intention of backing down.