The road to Tears of the Kingdom is at its end: here are all six installments of our mini-guide to the universe of The Legend of Zelda
Since early last month, we’ve been running a kind of Sunday countdown to roll out the red carpet which, let’s face it, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom deserves. The wait has now come to an end: tomorrow will be day one and, despite the large advance with which the specials were prepared, it is possible that in these hours someone is already tasting Link’s new adventure. Naturally, since this is an adventure worthy of all the honours, that’s why we have dedicated the last six Sundays to the now concluded “Road to”, the road to one of the (very likely) nominees for this winter’s Game Awards.
La bibbia universale – The Legend of Zelda: road to Tears of the Kingdom
The project “The Legend of Zelda: road to Tears of the Kingdom” sets itself a goal: to revisit the lore in common to the various (and more different from each other than the detractors of this sequel would say) episodes of the saga. To do this, we drew on theHyrule Encyclopediaor the Italian version (edited by Dark Horse Books) from the universal bible dedicated to the series. What is a “universal bible”? Nothing blasphemous: it is a compendium of dogmas to which any narrative universe must adhere. Each work, regardless of its medium, presents different reference texts for the new recruits who come to work on the various sequels of the case. Below is an example of its appearance, the Zora page from the English version.
“Wow, ma è come avere il libro” – The Legend of Zelda: road to Tears of the Kingdom
uhm no. Sorry. Contrary to guides produced entirely independently, such as our small encyclopedias dedicated to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, in this case we cannot present an alternative to a commercially available text. We limited ourselves to providing you with a glimpse of the details often kept silent throughout the series regarding the first three appointments, and then focused on the three key characters of the saga in the last three. In short: all the “lore” that is needed not so much to kick off one’s gaming experience, but to enrich it.
Elenco delle puntate – The Legend of Zelda: road to Tears of the Kingdom
Let’s get to the “flab”, then. Suppose you haven’t read the bets out so far: what awaits you in our “ripassone”? We talk about the game world, its rules and, with very heavy spoilers, the events in the timeline in chronological order. But let’s avoid unnecessary preambles, and let’s see immediately what we (had) in store for you.
- First episode: the creationism myth of Hyrule. It includes the three goddesses (Din, Nayru and Farore), the legend of the goddess Hylia, the human incarnation Zelda, the Triforce, the lineage of the Hylia and the birth of the monarchy.
- Second episode: the events of the saga in chronological order. Includes Unified Timeline (Skyward Sword, The Minish Cap, Four Swords, Ocarina of Time), Ruined Line Branch (A Link to The Past, Link’s Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, A Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes, The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link), the child hero branch (Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures) and the adult hero branch (The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks). Spoiler alert: there is talk, for better or worse, of the ending of all games.
- Third episode: races, ethnicities and peoples of Hyrule. It includes the following minorities: Sheikah, Gerudo, Goron, Zora, Kokiri, Deku (and Deku Bushes), Korogu, Traveling Falcons (or Rito), Minish and various honorable mentions.
- Fourth episode: the princess to whom the series owes its name. We talk about every incarnation of Zelda.
- Fifth episode: the legendary hero. We talk about every incarnation of Link.
- Sixth episode: the king of evil. Every incarnation of Ganon is talked about, from Mortipher to Ganondorf.
For now, our “demo version” of the Encyclopedia of Hyrule closes here. But we will not fail to dust off the concept, of course, on the occasion of other episodes of the series. Between weapons, magical musical instruments and so on, there really is for months, if not years. In the meantime, let’s focus on the essentials: the game comes out tomorrow, Friday May 12th!
Now it’s up to you to tell us yours: how hype are you for the game? Let us know below, and as always, don’t forget to stay on tuttotek for all the most important news for gamers and more. For your purely gaming needs, you can instead find the best discounts in digital format on Kinguin.