FUJIFILM makes available for free, on the global website, interesting firmware updates dedicated to GFX100 and GFX100S
Two important firmware updates for GFX100 and GFX100S are available on FUJIFILM global, let’s find out all the details together.
FUJIFILM: Updates planned for GFX100 Firmware Ver.4.00
Thanks to firmware Ver.4.00, the menu structure has been changed and some functions have been renamed. In particular, the video settings menu has undergone major changes due to the expansion of the setting items, and some of the settings will return to their default value accordingly.
- Improved autofocus performance to the same level as “FUJIFILM GFX100S”.
The new firmware updates the camera’s autofocus algorithm to the latest version to increase its AF speed and face / eye detection performance, improving AF accuracy even in portrait photography for moving subjects. The ability to follow a moving subject is also improved, allowing you to maintain precise focus even on a subject that moves away from the camera.
- Coordinated control of image, in-body and optical stabilization mechanisms.
The new firmware allows for coordinated control of in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and optical image stabilization (OIS) of a lens. Image stabilization is applied with an optimal correction based on the acceleration of the two mechanisms, the frequency detected by the gyroscopic sensors and the amount of camera shake to minimize motion blur even when shooting handheld. This improves the image stabilization function of OIS equipped GF lenses such as the FUJINON GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens or the FUJINON GF45-100mmF4 R LM OIS WR lens with an additional 0.5 stops.
- Added “Nostalgic Neg” Film Simulation.
New firmware adds “Nostalgic Neg.” Film Simulation, featuring colors and tones reminiscent of “America New Color”, which emerged in the 1970s to support the potential of color expression around the world and which has established color photography as a mainstream style. The style combines “soft hue” with “high saturation” at the same time and applies warm amber to the highlights to soften the look while maintaining fine details and pop colors in the shadows for lyrical looks.
- Improved shutter speed setting for slow sync TTL flash shooting
In P and A modes, this firmware reduces the shutter speed slower than 1/8 second, for shooting used in a scene where relatively long exposure is required (e.g. a flash shot with a night background) . In case the shutter speed setting is AUTO, the shutter speed becomes max. 4 sec in P mode and max. 30 seconds in A mode.
Other added functions and operational improvements
- The level of “clarity” can be set in the range of -5 to +5. The “tone curve” can be adjusted in 0.5 stop increments for both highlights and shadows.
- The “focus limiter” function is added to specify any focus range. You can choose the default focus distance or select it from the specified range.
- Images can be enlarged to 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x magnification during playback. There is also an option to select the magnification used in the previous playback (from the center).
- The function button can be assigned to change the “shooting mode” between P, S, A and M modes.
- The front and rear command dials can be set to rotate in reverse.
- The number of items in the Q menu can be selected from 4, 8, 12 or 16 for both still images and videos. The items to be displayed in the Q menu are customizable.
- The Q button can be assigned as a function button.
- The camera remains on even when an SD card is removed.
- Electronic image stabilization is available when shooting video.
- Camera shake that occurs during handheld video shooting is corrected. (1.1x crop when this mode is activated).
- Live View can also be enlarged when shooting videos.
- Focus control lock can now also be set to ON / OFF to keep focus control or not when starting to shoot video.
- You can back up the videos recorded in the SD card to the SD card in the other slot.
- The elapsed video recording time can be displayed on the LCD for checking.
- The size of the AF area can be changed when shooting videos.
- Video files recorded with F-log can be played with conversion equivalent to BT.709.
- Added white balance / ISO metadata to RAW footage, output to Atomos Ninja V HDR Monitor Recorder via HDMI. The movie is recorded as an Apple ProRes RAW file and the white balance / ISO can be adjusted in Final Cut Pro.
Updates planned for GFX100S – Firmware Ver.1.10
- Adding white balance and ISO metadata to RAW movies
Added white balance / ISO metadata to RAW footage, output to Atomos Ninja V HDR Monitor Recorder via HDMI. The movie is recorded as an Apple ProRes RAW file and the white balance / ISO can be adjusted in Final Cut Pro.
- Improvement of the custom mode function
Changes in the operation of custom modes have altered the way in which banks of custom settings are created and edited using IMAGE QUALITY SETTING> EDIT / SAVE CUSTOM SETTINGS and MOVIE SETTINGS> EDIT / SAVE CUSTOM SETTINGS in the shooting menu. You can register / edit after selecting the custom number from C1 to C6.
- The problem that an image with a specified file name created by the EDIT FILE NAME function cannot be played has been resolved.