Apple presented it last June at the WWDCwe have tested it with different betas, we have seen it on the new ones iPhone 14. Finally iOS 16 is here and we thought we’d summarize everything you need to know about the new iPhone operating system in one short guide: compatibility, how to install it not main news.
Guide to iOS 16
Cupertino’s new operating system debuted thereMonday 12 September 2022 officially, a few days after the presentation of the new iPhones. The new system is available on OTA (Over The Air), so it should have reached all iPhones in the world. Or at least those who can receive the update. Here’s how to do it.
iPhones compatible with the new operating system
The new iOS 16 arrives by default on the new ones iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro e iPhone 14 Pro Max that Apple unveiled last week. But it also arrives on several generations of iPhones. In particular, you can download and install the update on:
- iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (second generation or later)
IOS 16 Guide: Preparing to Install
To avoid problems during the update, Apple asks for two prerequisites to install iOS 16: you must be connected to a network WiFi and have at least 50% of bacteriaa (or 20% but remain connected to the mains via a Lightning cable). You can also download on the 5G network, but to do this you must have a compatible iPhone and you must enable the function “Allow more data on 5G network” by going to Settings and then Network Settings and Data Consumption.
We also recommend that you do a full backup process iCloud or iTunes (or any other app used for backups). This is important because, although the operating system is stable, there may be problems during installation or the first few days of use. For example, right now some users complain about the inability to download updates from the App Store (although some older versions of the operating system also have the same problem, so it seems like a store problem). We have not encountered any problems in the editorial office, but better to be safe than sorry.
For installation you need 4GB of free space. You can check if you have enough on I.Settings> General> Space. To free them you can activate the function “Remove apps you don’t use”, or delete photos and videos that you have already saved in the cloud.
iOS 16: installation guide
Once ready, to install the new iOS 16 on your iPhone you just have to go to:
- Software update
Here you select “Update to iOS 16”. You will be asked to first Download and then Install the operating system. Apple will also remind you to make a backup and then ask if you want to continue: tap the Continue button.
It may take a while, but iOS 16 will be available for you on the next reboot. This way, you can see all the upcoming news.
The news of the new operating system for the iPhone
The novelties of the new Apple operating system are so many. In this guide we point out the more useful and interesting features of iOS 16but know that the changes (even those that are not seen) are really a lot.
The lock screen
The most macroscopic novelty of this new operating system concerns the amount of customizations on the lock screen. You can change the font and color date and time, you can enter different widget of various apps: calendar, weather and more. In fact they will soon arrive too third party apps.
Furthermore, the multilevel effect it allows you to see the date and time as if they were part of the unlock image, partially “hiding” behind a subject in the foreground. And there are tons of new wallpaper collections. Also excellent is the ability to scroll between different lock screens with your own wallpapers and widgets.
Finally, the display of notifications also changes, which appear in the lower part of the display and which you can group, customizing the display. There are also notifications “Activities in real time “ that allow you to see sports results, movements of food delivery or car sharing and more.
The Full Immersion function allows you to focus the use of the smartphone on the basis of different “Focus“, In order to avoid distractions. For example, you can decide not to receive notifications during the hours of sleep (but receive calls for emergencies), rather than ndo not view game notifications during work hours or emails during your personal time.
You can associate all these filters to a wallpaper and activate it quickly even from the lock screen, so you can “change gear” in no time.
Active text and active search
Live Text and Visual Look Up are two new features already introduced in the last operating system, but with iOS 16 they become even more useful. Active Text in fact allows you to highlight texts even during videos, not just photographs, to then copy or translate them. And Apple promises faster execution speed
Active Search allows you to identify subjects (plants, animals, monuments) using the iPhone camera. With the new update you can recognize even more elements. Best of all, iPhone recognizes image outlines and allows you to drag and drop them into other apps. So you can take a picture of your dog or a statue and then share just that, without the background.
With iOS 16 you will no longer need to follow a specific guide on how to pass the best photos of a trip to your friends. Indeed you can directly share an iCloud library with up to 6 people. Each user can choose whether to share only some photos or the entire gallery.
Email and messages
The Mail and Messages app get really useful new features. Among these, the best is the possibility of delete recently sent messages or edit them, and the same goes for emails. But you have to do it quickly: you only have a few seconds to do it.
In Messages, you can mark conversations as unread. Also comes the ability to use SharePlaylistening to music or watching a TV series at the same time with your friends or relatives.
For Mail comes the function “Remind me”To show an email later in time, and also Follow Upwho will advise us to resend an email when we have not received a reply.
If the above are the most important news, there are a lot of really interesting ones that improve the use of the iPhone with small changes. For instance:
- Turn the battery percentage in the icon above (but not in all iPhone models)
- Dictation e keyboard improve, above all comes the tactile feedback to the keyboard
- L’app Wallet allows you to send secure digital keys via message or email. Also you can use it for documents (for now in the US only)
- Safety Check allows you to keep app permissions under control to increase security
- You can take Note in any app from the share menu or from the Control Center
- They are Safari shared panels and passkeys arrive, to access sites without passwords in a more secure way (a function for Safari also on iPad and Mac)
- Per Maps the intermediate stages of the itineraries and the prices of public transport arrive
- Redesigned the app design Casato better manage your devices (and at the end of the year Matter arrives to control more)
- Fitness+ also comes for those who don’t have an Apple Watch
- In Salute comes the section Medicinesto set schedules and reminders for taking pills and medicines
- The function Freeform it will act as a digital whiteboard for your creative projects
- New functions for accessibility come:
- Port detection via iPhone
- Reading signs and writings
- Apple Watch screen duplication
- Live transcripts of audio and FaceTime calls
- Sound recognition (to pick up the noise of doorbells, acoustic signals from household appliances and more)
These are the main new features of iOS 16 and the guide on how to get it. To learn more, here you will find the official page of Apple on the new operating system.